Level 1 - Youth Coach Course
Sun 03 Dec 2023 09:00 — 16:30
Registrations for this event are closed.
POSTPONED UNTIL FEB 2024
This is the entry level for all Accredited Athletic Coaches. The course introduces the fundamental skills of running, jumping & throwing as well as exploring how to engage athletes in long-term participation and how to coach skills to beginner athletes.
This qualification is certified by the Australian Sports Commission and allows participants to be nationally accredited as a community coach which is transferable to other sports engaging in the community coach program. The course includes one day of face to face training as well as the online Community Coach General Principles course.
- The Pillars of Good Communication (Relationships, Instruction, Demonstration, Observation, Analysis, and Feedback)
- Group Management
- Coaching Junior Athletes
- Inclusive Coaching using the TREE Principle
- Warm Ups and Cool Downs
- Resistance Training for Beginning Athletes
- Coaching a Technical Model - Running and Bounding
- Coaching a Technical Model - Stranding Horizontal Jump, Walking Horizontal Jump, Running Horizontal Jump, Combined Jump Series
- Coaching a Technical Model - Standing Vertical Jump
- Coaching a Technical Model - Underarm Throw, Overarm Throw, Push Pass, Sling Throw, Standing Put
- Leading a Kids' Athletics Program
- Session Planning
- Child Protection and Safeguarding
Participants must be 16 years of age to be accredited as a Level 1 Community Athletics Coach.
Complete Australian Sports Commission’s ‘Community Coaching General Principles Course’.
Complete the Play by the Rules module 'Child Protection'.
If you are a teacher, you are exempt from completing the online Community Coaching General Principles module but must still provide the Play by the Rules 'Child Protection' module certificate.
Target Coaching Audience
- Athletes transitioning into a mentoring and/or coaching role
- Beginning coaches
- Little Athletics coaches and volunteers
- Physical education teachers
- Sport science students
The course has a focus on coaching athletes between 5-12 years of age and athletes new to the sport. The primary objective is to develop the fundamental movement skills and introduce athletics in a fun and inclusive format using a games-sense approach